Our experts help you lodge your Australian tax returns online and get your tax back!

Help & Advice

Search for your Question:

Can I deduct the allowances I received from my employer?

An allowance from your employer for work-related expenses, such as car, travel, or clothing expenses, is considered assessable income and must be reported on your tax return.

However, you may still be able to claim a deduction for the work-related expenses covered by these payments, provided they meet the basic rules governing deductions. You can only claim the total amount of expenses you incurred, even if the allowance was more.