Our experts help you lodge your Australian tax returns online and get your tax back!

Help & Advice

Search for your Question:

Dependent Spouse, Parent, or Invalid Relative Tax Offset

You can claim an offset for a dependent spouse, parent or spouse’s parent, or invalid relative that you maintained. Maintaining a dependent involves any of the following:

  • living with them in the same house
  • giving the dependent food, clothing, and lodging
  • helping them pay for their living, medical, and educational costs

According to the ATO your spouse is someone (regardless of sex) with whom you were in a relationship that was registered under prescribed state or territory law and, although not married to you, lived with you on a genuine domestic basis in a relationship as a couple.

An invalid relative is a child or sibling at least 16 years old who

  • receives a disability support pension
  • receives a rehabilitation allowance, or
  • has a certificate from a Commonwealth-approved doctor certifying a continuing inability to work