Our experts help you lodge your Australian tax returns online and get your tax back!

Help & Advice

Search for your Question:

Do I have to report allowances and awards not reported on my payment summary?

No, you do not have to include on your tax return travel allowances or an overtime meal allowance paid under an industrial law, award or agreement, provided

  • it was not shown on your payment summary
  • it does not exceed the Commissioner’s reasonable allowance amount, and
  • you spent the whole amount on deductible expenses.

Do note, however, that if you choose not to include an allowance, you cannot then claim a deduction for expenses incurred in relation to that allowance.