I used my car to go to work. Can I deduct these expenses?
No, you cannot claim the cost of normal trips between home and work, even if
- you did minor tasks on the way, such as picking up mail
- you had to travel between work and home more than twice a day
- you were on call
- there was no public transport near your work
- you worked outside normal business hours, such as overtime.
- your home was a place of business and you travelled directly to a place of employment
The ATO considers all of this travel private and it is thus not deductible.