Our experts help you lodge your Australian tax returns online and get your tax back!

Help & Advice

Search for your Question:

Tax Offset for Superannuation Contributions on Behalf of Your Spouse

You may be able to claim a tax offset of up to $540 if you contributed to a superannuation fund or retirement savings account (RSA) on behalf of your spouse, either married or de facto, who does not work or who receives a low income.

In order to claim the offset, you must meet the following conditions:

  • your spouse‚Äôs assessable income, reportable fringe benefits, and reportable employer superannuation contributions amounted to less than $13,800
  • the super contributions are not deductible to you
  • the super fund was a complying superannuation fund during the income year in which you made the contributions
  • you and your spouse were both Australian residents when you made the contributions
  • you and your spouse were not living apart on a permanent basis when you made the contributions