Our experts help you lodge your Australian tax returns online and get your tax back!

Help & Advice

Search for your Question:

Work-related clothing, laundry, and dry-cleaning expenses

You can claim work-related expenses you incur for protective clothing, uniforms, occupation-specific clothing, and the laundering and dry-cleaning of the clothes listed above.

Note, however, that in order to deduct the cost of a uniform, it must be distinctive (with the name of your employer on it, for example). It must be either a non-compulsory uniform that your employer registered with AusIndustry or a compulsory uniform that identifies you as an employee of an organisation.

You can also deduct the cost of occupation-specific clothing which allows people to recognise a certain profession and protective clothing meant to reduce the risk of illness or injury or prevent damage to your ordinary clothes.