Our experts help you lodge your Australian tax returns online and get your tax back!

Help & Advice

Search for your Question:

Work-related travel expenses

You can deduct travel expenses you incur while away from home overnight for work, including meals, accommodation, and incidental expenses.

In most cases, unless your work-related travel involves an overnight stay, you cannot claim meal expenses, even if your employer provides you with a travel allowance.

You can also claim work-related travel expenses for

  • motorcycles and vehicles with a carrying capacity of one tonne or more, or nine or more passengers
  • air, bus, train, tram, and taxi fares
  • car-hire fees
  • the costs you actually incur with a borrowed car

Be aware that you can only deduct the expenses from the work-related portion of your trip. If it was at all private, you cannot claim those expense.The work-related expenses will have to be separated out from the private expenses.